A George II Elm and Ash Windsor Chair, of ‘Thames Valley’ Form
With comb back, shaped top rail above a ‘vase’ shaped splat and turned supports, with typical horse shoe shaped arms and heavily carved knees to the cabriole leg, and of overall exceptional colour. This distinct, but quintessential design of Windsor chair is known to have been made by a number of highly regarded makers in the Thames Valley region, including Richard Hewitt (1777) and John Pitt (1759). Characterised by the use of the cabriole leg, these chairs are often yew with an elm seat, but this larger formed example is made from ash with an elm seat, and is set apart from those of a more vernacular construction by it’s superb colour and overall untouched original condition.
Reference image for a comparable chair attributed to Richard Hewitt is included as the last image; photographed here as part of the collection of the V&A, and illustrated in the Furniture History Society Vol. 14, 1978 pp.38-48, ‘English Windsor Chairs: A Study of Known Makers and Regional Centres’ by Thomas Crispin.
Height: 109 cm, 42 7/8″
Width: 60 cm, 23 5/8″
Depth: 52 cm, 20 1/2″