An Impressive Pair of 18th Century Carved Giltwood Mirrors
Of Chippendale form with broad and handsome proportions, with extensive and elaborate foliate carving and cresting, with many of the original 18th Century marginal and central plates (some later). Carefully and sensitively dry stripped to reveal the original soft gilt surface.
Provenance: Knight Frank & Rutley, “The Contents of Arle Bury”, May 28-30, 1935.
Arle Bury (Arlebury today), was built in 1774 as a ‘handsome Italianate Georgian mansion’ by William Harris, who also created the Hampshire parkland and extensive formal gardens. Early in the 19th century, Admiral F J P Marx occupied the house, although he was often absent in the duties of the Crown. The Walford family took over Arlebury Park in 1883 where they remained for three generations.
Height: 168 cm, 5 foot 6 1/2 ”
Width: 94 cm, 3 foot 1″
Depth: 8 cm, 3″