A Monumental Pair of Baroque Gritstone Figurative Statues, Attributed to Jan Pieter van Baurscheit the Elder
Of exceptional execution and grand proportions, with an honest and raw aged surface to the superbly carved gritstone, c.1690.
Jan Pieter van Baurscheit the Elder hailed from Southern Netherlands, and was born in 1669. Elder came from a well regarded family from Wormersdorf, and later moved to Antwerp where he first apprenticed to the nephew of the highly acclaimed Pieter Verbrugghen the Elder, Pieter Scheemaeckers. He then joined the Guild of St. Luke as master sculptor in 1694, and is now well regarded for his religious works (both in stones and marbles, as well as carved wood) in the great churches within and around Antwerp. Works by him, and latterly his acclaimed architect son, are preserved in the Royal collection at the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, Brussels.
Height: c.210 cm
Width: c.100 cm
Depth: c.100 cm